01 of 04
With a production capacity of nearly 29 million tons,
Nucor is the largest producer of steel in the United States.
We are more than just a steel maker,
we are North America’s
Ironically, we’ve gotten big by small thinking.
While most of America’s steel manufacturing clung to old blast furnace
production methods requiring huge integrated steel mills, Nucor
pioneered new roads with electric arc furnaces and mini-mills.
We also did something else few manufacturers would ever venture to do:
we stripped away management layers and gave
all teammates, even hourly wage earners, respect, power and rich rewards
for doing good work safely.
You could say our unconventional thinking
has produced unconventional results:
We have generated unmatched profitability performance
for our industry. Nucor's industry leading returns on capital and long-term growth
in earnings has allowed our company to increase our cash dividends paid to
shareholders for FORTY-TWO consecutive years.
Challenging the rules of steel making has helped us succeed.
- Nucor is a Fortune 500 company with approximately 200 operating facilities, including our wholly owned subsidiaries of Harris Steel, The David J. Joseph Company, and Skyline Steel, yet we have approximately 100 people working at our corporate headquarters and surprisingly few layers of management from the CEO to the frontline worker.
- Our company consists of 90 businesses that operate independently but compete collectively. We have an unusually active and free exchange of ideas and solutions across divisional, geographical, and functional boundaries.
- In an industry that eliminates one out of two jobs over a 30-year span, Nucor remains committed to the longevity of its workforce. This commitment translates to a record of consistent profits which remains unmatched throughout the industry.
- For us, research and development isn’t a department. It’s a way of life. One that’s lived and breathed by each of our 23,600 employees every single day. And that’s why we are, hands down, the industry leader in innovation.
- Nucor pays hourly wages and salaries that run well above the industry average – two-thirds of our employees’ income comes from “pay for performance” bonuses – it’s no wonder why we regularly have large pools of qualified candidates for every production job opening.
- Though we’re in what’s considered a labor-intensive, technology-intensive business, many of our facilities are located in areas that have more cows than people.